Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tubes it is...

Ok, I am officially sick of ear infections, but extremely grateful for modern medicine. We went to see our beloved pediatrician last Thursday. (He was our Singles ward Bishop before we got married) Little Dude's left ear was red, but not infected and his right ear was of course filled with fluid. So, I asked to be referred to a Pediatric ENT (ear, nose and throat specialist). He gladly gave me the referral and we made an appointment for that next week. Rob was in Boston on a business trip and so Little Dude and I went together to the appointment. LD loves his pediatricians office and knows where everything is and has the routine down. IE: You get weighed first, then the nurse takes your temp and then you get to go to your favorits room with the cool rocking truck in it and that has farm animals painted on the wall then Dr. Whiting comes in checks you out and then it is sucker time!!! But the ENT was different...the rooms have big machines and weird looking chairs in them. So, he freaked out a little, but I held him and the sweet nurse took good care of him. He passed the hearing test with flying colors(they said that he was the 1st child in 6 months to have had chronic ear infections and pass the test) he also passed some other test that checks something else out too...then the Doctor came in she said that after looking at the tests she didnt think he would need tubes and then.....she looked in his ears. Both ears had "puddles of white puss" at the base of the ear canal. She asked me how long he had been on antibiotics, I told her.(12 weeks) She then said one word. "TUBES!" So, we scheduled the surgery for the 10th of March (he has a cold and needs to be totally better before they can operate and do anesethia.) They will go in and suck out hte infection (puss) and then insert the tubes! So, we are willing this cold to go away and praying that his ears do not get any worse while we wait. I am a little apprehensive about the 'surgery' part, but it is a totally common and routine surgery for kids. I just wish it was me rather than him. He is just too little for this stuff....but maybe better now than when he can remember the bad. So, that is our update. Thanks for all the comments and prayers! we find out the day before tubes what we are having...finally. So, updates to follow!
Love, Jules

1 comment:

Savannah said...

I'm sorry to hear about the tubes! Hopefully he's too little to remember much about it later! Hey, I might be coming down to Utah this month, and I'm DYING to see you! How's your pregnancy going? Love you!